Monday, July 11, 2011

Learning

Today I was moved to a harder Chinese class full of new faces. Although they're currently going over a few things I have already learned, I do not want to delay my registration any further by deciding to move up to yet another class. Rather than trying to force things into my own direction, I feel like it would be more interesting and exciting to let God steer the course. I must say that I stubbornly wanted to take a harder class like some friends from school (thinking I'm at about the same level as them), but at the same time, I'm taking a class that I can comprehend and that goes over some foundational structures I could definitely use more practice with. At the same time, I feel like it's motivating me to work even harder and move on at a quicker pace - hopefully I don't get lazy over the rest of the summer!

The night before last, I was thinking about some of the things I have learned about myself and with regards to how things work around here. Because I couldn't fall asleep, I thought I would write down some of the random things going on in my head. Here are some of the things I've learned so far:

1. I need to take more care in being patient and listening to what people really have to say. In America, it was easy...er for me to be a little careless and to pay less attention to what people had to say. I could find some way to work around something I missed. However, ever since I've arrived in Taiwan, I found myself asking "甚麼? (what)" after almost every sentence someone speaks to me in Chinese. Absentmindedly, I find that I continue to embarrass myself in front for being so careless.

For example. Last week I stopped by a restaurant to order some food. I had set it in my mind that I would try to do everything in Chinese, and had planned out most of what I was going to say. Unfortunately, I got lost at whether I wanted a value meal or not. And then again when they asked whether I wanted something to drink. Later, they called a number for an order that definitely wasn't mine, but I went up anyways with a suave demeanor, only to come back in shame.

2. I have found myself repeatedly helpless with regards to understanding different things in Chinese. I am currently on day 3 of a registration process that still hasn't been completed, struggling with a different lady at a different table each visit, trying to muster up a sentence in Chinese that I can only hope makes sense.

Something I'm realizing more and more is that in order for me to understand all of these things, I need to better immerse myself in the culture. I have been conveniently finding other english speakers to speak english with, rather than trying harder to find patient chinese speakers who can force me to speak chinese.

3. I need to really take the time to study and learn more about the culture here. I have struggled a few times to find the light switches for bathrooms, only to find them outside the door rather than inside the bathrooms. Additionally, I have waited a few times for a sliding door, only to remember that I needed to press a button in order for it to open.

As I thought about these things that night, I realized how they also applied to the God's kingdom and my spiritual walk. In addition to listening carefully to others, I really need to take the time to listen to God as well. How can I hear where He wants to take me if I'm always absentmindedly thinking of random things in my mind? I need to immerse myself in kingdom lifestyle, rather than continually spending time with people who can draw me away from it. Lastly, I really need to spend more time in God's word. Knowing and digesting it, God's word ought to change the way I behave around others.

I hope God continues to do great things in and through my life. May I hold firmly to the grace found in Jesus Christ!

-Moses

No comments:

Post a Comment